Enrollment is available for boys entering grades 5-9 in the fall of 2017.
St. Sebastian’s School offers two distinct summer workshops - in writing and in science - for students seeking enrichment in an intellectually challenging and fun environment. Run by our experienced St. Sebastian’s faculty, the two-week workshops are designed to engage highly motivated students who enjoy working in a small group atmosphere.
Focused on scholarly growth, academic collaboration, and personal achievement, these workshops promise to prepare students for the next school year and to inspire a life-long love of learning.
DATES & RATES
Two sessions: July 10-21 or July 24- August 4, 2017
Hours: Workshops run Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.to 12:00 p.m.
Cost: $575/student for each two-week session
The workshops are held at St. Sebastian’s School, 1191 Greendale Avenue, Needham, MA.
(conveniently located just off Route 128 at Exit 18)
For more information about the Summer Workshop, please contact Chris Lynch, the Director of the Summer Workshops, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781.247.0231.
St. Sebastian’s School emphasizes inquiry-based, hands-on learning in the sciences. The workshop gives students the opportunity to learn fundamental scientific skills from St. Sebastian’s faculty in a dynamic and exciting atmosphere that will build knowledge as well as confidence. The workshop takes place in our new Science, Math & Library Center, featuring state-of-the-art labs and equipment on par with universities.
- Students are exposed to a variety of science topics, including ecology, circuitry, and forensic science.
- Students participate in all aspects of the scientific process, from posing a question, deriving a hypothesis, designing an experiment, collecting data, analyzing the results, and presenting their findings.
- An emphasis is placed on experiential learning. The boys engage in hands on laboratory experiments on a daily basis.
- Experiments are inquiry-based and collaborative and have real world applications.
Through its Writing Program, St. Sebastian’s empowers students to become more confident and competent writers. Boys enrolled in the Writing Workshop will have the opportunity to work closely with St. Sebastian’s faculty to improve their writing skills in a fun and encouraging environment. Each student will grow as a writer and a thinker, and he will gain skills essential for academic success in the years to come.
- Students learn and write in various modes, including narrative, descriptive,expository, and persuasive.
- Boys pursue their own interests, such as short stories, poetry, sports journalism, or play writing.
- Concepts of grammar and punctuation are presented in a fun and memorable fashion.
- Students share their work with their peers in a nurturing and cooperative environment.