Enrollment is available for boys entering grades 5-9 in the fall of 2019.
St. Sebastian’s School offers two distinct summer workshops - in writing and in robotics - for students seeking enrichment in an intellectually challenging and fun environment. Run by our experienced St. Sebastian’s faculty, the workshops are designed to engage highly motivated students who enjoy working in a small group atmosphere.
Focused on scholarly growth, academic collaboration, and personal achievement, these workshops promise to prepare students for the next school year and to inspire a life-long love of learning.
DATES & RATES
Robotics Session: July 8-19
Writing Sessions: July 8-19 and July 22-Aug 2Hours: Workshops run Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.to 12:00 p.m.
Cost: $575/student for each session
The workshops are held at St. Sebastian’s School, 1191 Greendale Avenue, Needham, MA.
(conveniently located just off Route 128 at Exit 18)
For more information about the Summer Workshop, please contact Chris Lynch, the Director of the Summer Workshops, at email@example.com or 781.247.0231.
This workshop gives students the opportunity to build a robot and learn fundamental STEM skills from St. Sebastian’s faculty in a dynamic and exciting atmosphere. The workshop takes place in our new Science, Math & Library Center, featuring state-of-the-art labs, project rooms, and equipment on par with universities.
- Using Tetrix, Modern Robotics, and Rev Robotics equipment, students will design and build a unique robot with autonomous and driver controlled elements to meet specified challenges.
- Students will be exposed to all fundamental aspects of designing and building a robot, including brainstorming, computer-aided design, 3d printing, building, electronics, and block-style programming.
- Where appropriate, math and science concepts and techniques will be learned and implemented such as gear ratios, center of mass, series and parallel circuits, and more.
- Students will develop a variety of invaluable life skills including problem solving, teamwork, communication, and accountability.
Through its Writing Program, St. Sebastian’s empowers students to become more confident and competent writers. Boys enrolled in the Writing Workshop will have the opportunity to work closely with St. Sebastian’s faculty to improve their writing skills in a fun and encouraging environment. Each student will grow as a writer and a thinker, and he will gain skills essential for academic success in the years to come.
- Students learn and write in various modes, including narrative, descriptive,expository, and persuasive.
- Boys pursue their own interests, such as short stories, poetry, sports journalism, or play writing.
- Concepts of grammar and punctuation are presented in a fun and memorable fashion.
- Students share their work with their peers in a nurturing and cooperative environment.